Thursday 24 November 2011

An Introduction To The Sixties

I'm a massive fan of fifties and early sixties music. I'm pretty much crazy for it and I've managed to build up a pretty good knowledge of 50s/60s bands that I like, who did the songs originally, who produced them and my favourite songs. I was lucky because I grew up in a household full of music, songs I think I've never heard before actually sound familiar and even though I don't know the title or artist, I somehow know the lyrics. I have my mum to thank for that as well as my nan. We all share a common love of old Spector or Motown songs. Not only is it the music I like about the those years, but the style really blows me away. Beehives and matching outfits, coordinated dance moves and lashings of eyeliner make me swoon! How did Ronnie Spector get her hair so high?
Vintage is in at the moment, right? Well I thought some people might be interested in listened to more old music, but it can seem a little daunting. It's a lot of history to try and cover! I thought I would help anyone who wants it and do a little playlist of some of the most well-known artists. I've tried to keep a mix of well-known and some of my very favourite oldies that you might not have heard, as a sort of introduction. The key is to remember the big players. Motown Records and Phil Spector basically ran the whole show in the early sixties, Gene Pitney and Del Shannon had a lot of influence over the writing and recording of that time and bands like The Supremes, The Ronettes and The Beatles are a good place to start for some seriously catchy songs! Here is my playlist, I hope you enjoy it, it was really hard to narrow it down to 30 songs, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment! They make my day xo