Thursday 3 November 2011

Immitation is the Sincerest Form Of Flattery..

I had so much fun putting together my 'tragedy' playlist that I thought I would do another, this time with my favourite ever cover songs! What makes a good cover song? I'm sure its different for everyone's personal tastes, but a good cover song to me includes; knowing the band like the artist they are covering, bringing something different to a song, picking out hooks that you haven't heard before and ultimately keeping the song recognisable.

I'm not a big fan of the Punk Goes... compilations because they just sound really lazy to me and to be honest they are not very good. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes have the 'punk goes pop' schtick down an art form and do it amazingly well and I don't really think we need a bunch of third rate screamo bands trying to do it too, sorry!

Here is my playlist. What are you favourite cover songs? Has a cover of a song ever swayed your opinion of the original? Has a cover ever got you into the original band (if it wasn't for The Commitments I wouldn't know the first thing about Otis Redding!)?

Tracklist:
  1. Al Green - I Wanna Hold Your Hand ( The Beatles and possibly my favourite cover ever!)
  2. Golbetty - A Whole New World (Disney's Aladdin)
  3. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Runaway (Del Shannon)
  4. Cat Power - Sea of Love (Phil Phillips)
  5. Sonic Youth - Superstar (The Carpenters)
  6. The English Beat - Can't Get Used To Losing You (Andy Williams)
  7. The Go! Team - Bull In The Heather (Sonic Youth and better imo)
  8. The Moody Blues - Go Now (Bessie Banks)
  9. Sex Pistols - My Way (Frank Sinatra)
  10. Ramones - Baby I Love You (The Ronettes)
  11. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding)
  12. Smith - Baby, It's You (The Shirelles)
  13. Lissie - Pursuit of Happiness (Kud Cudi)
  14. Etta James - Security (Otis Redding)
  15. Beyonce - All I Could Do Was Cry (Etta James)
  16. The Commitments - Try A Little Tenderness (Otis Redding)
  17. Cilla Black - Anyone Who Had A Heart (Dionne Warwick)
  18. Emmy The Great - Where Is My Mind (Pixies)
  19. Giant Drag - Wicked Game (Chris Isaak)
  20. Dusty Springfield - Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa (Gene Pitney)
  21. Sophie Ellis Bextor - Rebellion (Lies) (Arcade Fire)
  22. Dana Fusch - Oh! Darling (The Beatles)
  23. Dashboard Confessional - Jamie (Weezer)
  24. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Rainbow Connection (The Muppets)
  25. Sister Act - I Will Follow Him (Little Peggy March)
  26. Letters To Cleo - I Want You To Want Me (Cheap Trick)
  27. Streetlight Manifesto - Linoleum (NOFX)
Phew!

1 comment:

  1. Hey fellow music,film & fashion lover, this is a cool blog. I never heard of the sex pistols doing frank sinatra and ramones doing ronettes before...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! They make my day xo